Click on a name for details on individual Network Members.
To download a person’s vCard to your address book click on the “Add to Address Book” link associated with that person.
Dr Claire Ellen Barber
Dr. Barber completed an honors degree in microbiology and immunology (2002), a medical degree (2006), and internal medicine training (2009) at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She then pursued subspecialty medical training in rheumatology at the University of Toronto (2011). She then moved to Calgary to pursue additional research training in epidemiology and graduated with a PhD in Epidemiology from the Department of Community Health Sciences at the University of Calgary in 2016.
During her PhD she was supported by continuous funding from Alberta Innovates Health Solutions and she was also awarded a prestigious Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship. Her PhD research was also supported by CIHR funding. For her PhD thesis she developed the first set of quality indicators (QIs) for cardiovascular care for RA.
Dr. Barber has developed nationally recognized expertise in quality measure development and over the last 5 years has been working extensively with the Arthritis Alliance of Canada to develop a framework for evaluating models of care for inflammatory arthritis (see key publications below).
In October 2015, Dr. Barber was hired as an assistant professor in the Department of Medicine, Cumming School of Medicine at the University of Calgary. She is also affiliated with the O’Brien Institute for Public Health, the McCaig Institute for Bone and Joint Health and Arthritis Research Canada.
- Brophy J, Marshall DA, Badley EM, Hanly JG, Averns H, Ellsworth J, Pope JE, Barber CE. Measuring the Rheumatology Workforce in Canada: A Literature Review. J Rheumatol. 2016 Apr 1. pii: jrheum.151174. URL: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27036382
- Barber CE, Marshall DA, Mosher DP, Akhavan P, Tucker L, Houghton K, Batthish M, Levy DM, Schmeling H, Ellsworth J, Tibollo H, Grant S, Khodyakov D, Lacaille D; Arthritis Alliance of Canada Performance Measurement Development Panel. Development of System-Level Performance Measures for Evaluation of Models of Care for Inflammatory Arthritis in Canada. J Rheumatol. 2016 Mar;43(3):530-40. URL: http://www.jrheum.org/content/43/3/530
- Barber CE, Patel J, Woodhouse L, Smith C, Weiss S, Homik J, LeClercq S, Mosher D, Christiansen T, Squire Howden J, Wasylak T, Greenwood-Lee J, Emrick A, Suter E, Kathol B, Khodyakov D, Grant S, Campbell-Scherer D, Phillips L, Hendricks J, Marshall D. Development of Key Performance Indicators to Evaluate Centralized Intake for Patients with Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Research & Therapy 2015,17:322. URL: http://arthritis-research.com/content/17/1/322
- Barber CE, Marshall D, Alvarez N, Mancini GB, Lacaille D, Keeling S, Avina-Zubieta JA, Khyodyakov D, Barnabe C, Faris P, Smith A, Noormohamed R, Hazlewood G, Martin LO, Esdaile JM. Development of Cardiovascular Quality Indicators for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Results from an International Expert Panel Using a Novel Online Process. Journal of Rheumatology. 2015, 42(9):1548-55. URL: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26178275
- Barber C, Smith A, Esdaile J, Barnabe C, Martin L, Faris P, Hazlewood G, Noormohamed R, Alvarez N, Mancini GBJ, Lacaille D, Keeling S, Avina-Zubieta A, Marshall D. Best Practices for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Systemic Review of Guideline Recommendations and Quality Indicators. Arthritis Care & Research 2015; 67(2): 169-179. URL: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/acr.22419/epdf
- Barber C*, Lacaille D, Fortin PR. A Systematic Review of Validation Studies of the use of Administrative Data to Identify Serious Infections. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2013 65(8):1343-573. URL: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/acr.21959/epdf